Shop Projects About Contact

Friday

Whirlygiggle Quilt :: Complete!

33:365
I'm so pleased with how this Whirlygiggle quilt ended up turning out. It's so light, bright, and cheery and it just makes me smile. What really makes me smile about it is that it's actually my first full size quilt! Up until now I've only made a couple of baby quilts, so this was a really big deal for me.

Whirlygiggle Quilt: Complete
Overall, it probably ended up taking me about 2 months to make. I know some could do this in a hard core weekend, but I've got so many other things going on, between my full-time job, my part-time business, and you know, spending quality time with my husband and all, I make time for my sewing.

What's funny about it is that I only ended up making half the amount of blocks necessary and didn't realize it until I laid it all out! I was like, hmm, this looks a bit small. Talk about a bubble burst! Here I thought all the hard work was over and I ended up having to go back and cut, sew, trim, and sew some more. Ay ay ay!

Whirlygiggle Quilt: Complete
The original inspiration came from Camille, as this is her Whirlygig pattern. I was completely overcome with joy when I saw the colors and found it so visually appealling. It's also what sparked my love, ok obsession, with the Nicey Jane collection. I'm pretty sure that I bought a fat quarter bundle of it to make this quilt, and as we quilters do, fell in love with it during the creative process and ended up buying an additional half-yard bundle!!! Thank goodness for Randi at Fresh Squeezed Fabrics and her amazing sales and outstanding service!

Whirlygiggle Quilt: Complete
Besides being so pleased with the outcome of the quilt itself, I'm so happy to have realized I could finally take one of those fabulous pictures of it, like other quilters do. Now, I don't have any cool barns or fences nearby, but I figured the railing at the beach would do. The secret is that my best girl Raygan is squatting behind it, making sure it doesn't flop over the front or fly away on this windy day. Thanks Ray-Ray!

I'm very excited to be entering it in the Gen X Quilters Love Nest Quilt Contest! I always see these great contests with these inspiring and outstanding quilts and never had one of my own to enter. Now I do, wahoo!
And I'm even more pleased to be doing my 3rd Blogger's Quilt Festival and showing my 3rd (and only) completed quilt that I love. I've got 3 other tops sitting here staring at me, so even more quilts to come!



Amy'sCreativeSide

Gen X Quilters

59 comments:

  1. Lovely - it is a very serene-looking quilt. I like Nicey Jane, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this beautiful & peaceful feeling quilt is a pleasure to gaze at - thanks for sharing your lovely pictures

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great color choices. It looks like you made a great choice for the backing. I think your quilt will do great in the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful... love the fabrics! Congratulations on your first full sized quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like that pattern. It is lovely with the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is beyond gorgeous! I have been in love with this design in these fabrics for a long time... I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE being able to see this. I am as we speak working with Nicey Jane...and have the same feelings as you. Looks great with the WhirrlyGiggles!

    Thanks for entering your quilt in the Love Nest Quilt Contest and best of luck!

    AnneMarie @ Gen X Quilters

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this pattern, too (it was the very first quilt I made, ever), and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Nicey Jane! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's beautiful (and inspires me to break into my Nicey Jane FQ bundle)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful colors choice for this quilt. Stunning! Thank you for sharing. Enjoyed reading your blog...I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really lovely!! I can feel the freshness already. I used a similar pinwheel pattern for inspiration for some painting, to give it some structure. If you like - the short story is here (http://slootjesschilder.blogspot.com/2011/02/pinwheels-en-de-grote-wolk.html) although mainly in Dutch I'm afraid...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this is such a beautiful fresh quilt and your picture is one of the best of a quilt I've seen - what a great spot for taking quilt pics! We all need a Ray-Ray to help us in these windy situations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Found your link on Lily's Quilts. This quilt is pretty, very refreshing. And I love how you took the photos outside....charming.

    ReplyDelete
  14. congratulations for making top 6. Good luck tomorrow.
    diane

    ReplyDelete
  15. So pretty, Elena! You're making me want to cut into my Nicey Jane stash after hoarding it for eons :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, what a fabulous quilt!!! It's gorgeous! I, also, am obsessed with Nicey Jane. It "creeps" into almost every project I make. Again, what an awesome quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great use of Nicey Jane. It's one of my all time favorite lines.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beauitful, love the colors and the Nicey Jane. Wonderful quilt pattern, I have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Elena - your quilt is gorgeous! And the pictures look so professional!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh... I have been saving some Nicey Jane for when I have some extra time....this makes me want to *make* time! It's beautiful - congrats on your first big quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The colors in your quilt are so pretty...so subtle with the white. Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So beautiful! The Nicey Jane looks perfect against the beach backdrop! I have done the same thing, thinking I was done with the top only to realize I lacked another row. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those colors are wonderful and I love the borders. It all works perfectly together to make a beautiful quilt. But I had to giggle at your size problem...I seem to have the opposite problem. I've made a "twin" that ended up almost a queen because of miscalculations!

    ReplyDelete
  24. love the colours and the photography! Thanks for sharing your pretty quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great quilt...great colors and whirlygigs are so fun and whimsical. Thank for sharing and have a grest day

    ReplyDelete
  26. The colors are just beautiful and alternating each one with white must have made them all stand out and a bit easier to put together. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love these quilts. They are such good fun. Your colour choices are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  28. love the quilt!

    Margaret
    www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wonderful, and the beach is the perfect place for those yummy colors.

    ReplyDelete
  30. That's gorgeous and the second quilt in as many days that I've fallen for in that palette. Hmmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  31. LOL - thanks for sharing the info on how to get a good photo. However, I think even if RayRay wasn't back there, any photo of this quilt would look good because the quilt is AWESOME. I've been meaning to make one but never get around to it. You have just reinspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the quilt and love your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  33. So pretty. I love the soft colours. The photos you took really show it off, too!

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a fabulous finish! I'm going to have to look into the pattern for a whirly gig! I sure like the results. Nice job on your photography too!

    ReplyDelete
  35. très frais ,belle réussite et superbes photos félicitations

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful quilt. Love your photography style, too.

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is beautiful! I love the colors I am your newest follower from www.createdbycori.blogspot.com

    I hope you will follow back and I cant wait to check out the rest of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  38. So pretty, front and back. Love your photo setting. Perfect~!

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is so pretty! Love the soft colors and the pattern as well!

    ReplyDelete
  40. the soft colors in your quilt look amazing with you quilt photo setting!

    ReplyDelete
  41. great job and i love your photos they are beautiful and highlight the quilt in just the right way! =)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Elena, I LOVE this. This pattern is totally on my 'to-do' list. It's one of my favorites too. Then add it Nicey Jane (which I'm such a huge fan of as well!) and I think the whole thing is perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a fresh looking quilt. The green... I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Lovely quilt!! I really like the colors. Hugs-- Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  45. Great quilt! I love the colors, and the photo "set". Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  46. The greens and blues look so pretty together!

    Rachel @ TheSingingSparrow.com

    ReplyDelete
  47. What lovely colours--it gives such a fresh feeling that perfectly fits the ocean setting. Go you!

    Hazle

    ReplyDelete
  48. I like the colour combination. Very refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  49. This is lovely! Nicey Jane is one of my all time favorite fabric lines. I have a box full of it, but haven't been able to bring myself to cut into it yet. . .
    Thanks for sharing your pretty quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Lovely quilt and you did a really nice job, love the backing fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Very beautiful quilt! Love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  52. I love, love, love this quilt...makes me want to go to the beach...can't wait to make it in 2012...thank you so much for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Love your Whirlygiggle quilt...so bright and cheerful. Your photos with the blowing grass are splendid. I am very slowly making my way through the quilt festival!

    ReplyDelete
  54. The quilt is gorgeous! Nicey Jane was perfect for that pattern! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Here's where you can do that! :)